Monday, October 26, 2015

DIY Mickey Mouse Shoes


For Halloween this year, my boyfriend and I are going as Mickey and Minnie Mouse.   If you haven't noticed by other posts, Halloween is a big deal in my family!   I was able to fine some patent Yellow shoes for my Minnie Mouse costume, but I couldnt find anything good for his, except those Mickey Mouse House Slipper Shoes.   So I decided I was going to make my own!  It was actually a very easy and cheap process!!!   Not only are these good for Halloween, but those of you into Disney Bounding, this is a very affordable accessory to add!



I started off getting him a pair of Crocs from Ebay (You can also look at your local thrift stores).  I was glad I found this light colored pair in his size, because the lighter the color, the less paint you will need.
These happened to be a pair of tan colored University of Alabama themed ones.  I threw them in the washing machine with warm water, a little laundry detergent and bleach.   This not only disinfected them, it also prepped and primed them to accept the paint.

I then picked up the brightest yellow acrylic paint I could find at the local craft store.  I was happy to find it in a Gloss formula!   Makes it pop more!!   Make sure you use acrylic otherwise it will rub off and not set good.

I just used a basic sponge brush to paint the shoes.   This is how they looked after just one coat!  The paint goes on pretty easy!   

I could have left the straps red, and they would have still looked good, but I wanted to cover up the Alabama logo and I thought glossy black was more of a classic look for the Mickey Mouse Shoes.  The black also helped to cover the red up better.  For painting the straps, I used a regular small paint brush with a clean fine tooth edge.
This how they looked after just one coat.   I could have left them at that, but over a week's time, I added a coat or two each night becuase I wanted them to really stand out and be super bright and glossy!




Here is the finished project!   They look perfect!

For the Mickey Mouse Shorts, I just got red shorts from the thrift store, and cut out two large circles of white felt.  I sewed them on by hand with big stitches so I can easily remove them afterwards, but you could sew them on permanently if you wanted them for Disney Bounding!






What are some cool DIY Disney project you have made??




No comments:

Post a Comment