TSA did give them option to check it, but the Zilka family only packed carry on luggage for their trip.
In a TSA statement officials said, "In our review of this situation, the officer's decision complied with the appropriate procedures... TSA officers have the discretion to deny passage of an item if they cannot definitively rule out that the item could be used as a weapon, or perceived to be a weapon, including replica weapons."
Although the TSA does have several options in these situations, they did decide to send the toy to Pennsylvania which was a very nice thing they did for Levi.
I would however urge all families traveling to be cautious about which souvenirs they allow their children to carry on with them! If you are not checking baggage and are not sure, many of the resorts at Disney can help you mail them home. Just check with the concierge department.
WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS???
DID TSA GO TOO FAR?
If you need help booking your own magical Disney Vacation, please visit
and send them a message for a no obligation quote to get started!! All their services are FREE to you! Their services include:
- Finding the best rate possible, they will even notify you if a better deal comes up before your trip
- Booking all of your dining reservations
- Booking all of your fast passes
- Itinerary planning, including helping you plan your visit around the lowest crowds for your dates
- Special Events and experiences
- Customizing which resort is best for you and your family
- and so much more! It is like having your own personal fairy godmother in real life!